Sunday 6 April 2014

Buddyfight: My first experiences, thoughts and strategy

(Note: this was meant to be my first post, forgot about it)
Future Card Buddyfight is a weird game. I myself don’t know why I like it so much compared to other card games. I think it's because it has something that I have felt only twice before, the beginning of a game with beaming potential, but more on fun rather than seriousness, the sense I felt when I started card fight vanguard and when I was a kid starting yu-gi-oh. It is a feeling I have attributed to fun, nostalgia and thought. I wish I had a name for it. All I know is when I feel this, I know I will stay with the game for along time. So today I'm am sharing my general thoughts and what I have learned from this and other games that will help my future play.

Now how does such a game with what seems to be a luck based system work to a point where one could consistently win? Its knowledge and prediction. The trick is to know when to attack and when to hold back and try and fend your opponent off, and you do this by working out what they most likely have, and working out how they are playing to deduce what they have in their hand. This is oddly difficult to teach and apparently to pick up. I seemed to have picked it up out of no where and have trouble teaching it to others. Maybe it is just luck and I just make the most of it. I don't know but ill try my best to tell you.

Now, not going to lie but I lost horribly in my first tournament for buddyfight....and vanguard.....and beyblade.....and pokemon. I’ve never been one to come up with strong starts even if everyone else is just as experienced as me. However, I've always looked at a loss as a learning experience. That buddyfight tournament was the first in Melbourne, and in the last fight I lost even though at one point I had 13 life to 2 (Damn Turtle Dragon), and my losses early on allowed me to learn how people think the game is played, and allow me to learn how to turn that against them. I think the greatest push for me to play the game was hipster-ism, I wanted to play the game that no one took seriously. So far I've enjoyed that aspect oddly enough, as I've found enough people to play with, but not too many that I feel overwhelmed like I had been for vanguard. It was also new, so researching all the cards was quite easy, and like pokemon, once you get a few hundred cards memorised, the rest come together quite quickly once a new set is released. This has been key as knowing what is most common in decks and what cards are good allow you to easily work out how your opponent is playing and what they could and might do. Not that my training partners have been great.

At the time of writing this, I have fought 2 magic decks and one chess deck. While I did win those matches, they were close as I was unsure how the decks worked as a whole. The trick to winning is knowing what they can and cannot do, and if I don’t know my opponents then I'm just pulling what I can of the deck and most likely running out of cards and hoping for the best. You don’t want that, so having a variety of opponents is always a good thing. Unfortunately, while I can go out and fight other decks, my 2 main opponents are both dragon world players, and that makes it difficult to learn how other worlds play. If you have a variety of opponents, make the most of it, you will need it. If you don’t have a variety of opponents, there is one way to play against a variety of people, and that’s though a little site called trade cards online. Probably the best why to play the game online for now and already has a rather decent community on it. Go check it out.

Next up is deck building, and it really depends on what world you are playing, but know what you have access to, know what you need to get and know your meta game. For those who don’t know, a Meta Game is a game within a game, the deep part of any collectable game, paper, figure or digital. It is what can counter what and what is strong and weak. It is what players use most often. A healthy meta will rotate the strongest part to a new strongest regularly, whether with new options or with new combinations discovered by the players. Know what the local players use most and play it to the best of your advantage by using cards that really fight the meta and who knows, your style of deck may just be the next big deck! Cost, however, is always a big part of any collectable card game. You must understand that any big game will cost money to have the best selection and parts around. Almost no trading card game with a competitive scene has an average competitive deck cost for a deck under $100 (if you buy each card individually, and can be more or less with booster packs, normally more) and this aspect shocks allot of new players. Fortunately, if you start buddyfight now with a danger world deck, your complete deck shouldn't cost more than $70 unless you want all the shiny stuff. The trick is working out your budget and what you like. Net decking (the act of copying a deck off the internet) isn't always a bad thing, and while it does lower creativity, it will give you a scope of how much you need to spend and what works as far as the player base has worked out. If you want more tips on deck building, check out my podcast on buddyfight where we go over what makes a good card.


So that’s it for my first experiences, thoughts and strats for buddyfight. Hope this helped you look at this game at-least in a new light or help you win more. If you want more of my thoughts and also a few of my companions thoughts, I am planing to create a podcast for iTunes and you-tube, Future Cast, where we sit for about an hour talking buddyfight strategy, news and general thoughts. I also have a you-tube channel that I use from time to time to post videos. So I hope to see you around, Giraton out!

No comments:

Post a Comment