Wednesday 6 August 2014

The Buddyfight Boot Camp Experiment: Day 1

So the worlds are coming up for all busiroad events and I have to prepare for it in the best way possible. However, I also have a few friends I help regularly that play Buddyfight. I build their decks for them, I teach them not only how to play but how to be good at the game, in fact they are the reason I made this blog. However, lately I've been having trouble pushing them to become better than myself, and they complain they can't beat me. As such I came up with a plan to help push them to their ultimate TCG potential. That is the Buddyfight Boot Camp Experiment (not that they know this is an experiment). I have 3 subjects that I must make into the ultimate Buddyfight players and be able to compete at my level or above in a 3 week plan. Here is the plan:



Step 1: Bring to light their own play styles that I have observed. My first subject has the issue if they can't see themselves doing something every turn, they don't feel like they are winning. They lack foresight and has issues setting up scenarios of advantage for themselves, allowing them to be very predictable and easily manipulated. My second subject is a very balanced player, probably one of the best at the table in that aspect, however lacks 3 things, Foresight, Risk Taking and Conservation. This means they never push what they can do and always makes the right plays, which ends up being an issue again as they are not a computer that can take every piece of information in and make a perfect decision. The third subject is going to be the hardest one. He is the kind of player you would think is just playing for fun, but they complain too much when they lose. I need to help him the most. They play what ever in a desperate attempt to win, like button mashing on a fighting game, but anyone who plays those regularly knows that there is always a deeper why to play it if you know what your looking for. As such, I'm pushing him towards combo plays to open him up to how different cards work together and interact. I'm going to change a button masher into a perfect combo player.



Step 2: Get them to play Hearthstone. As I've said before, Hearthstone makes you an awesome TCG player. As such this is the first exercise to get them into the ideas of their play styles. Their goals are to use a class I have given to them, make the class level 10, then I give them some decklists that only use the basic cards and make them reach rank 20 in ranked play. I have already tested these decklists out and they are great for this exercise. My first subject I'm pushing into burn, particularly dragowizards, as it gives him a sense of accomplishment if he sees his opponents life total drop nearly every turn. So what class do I give him in Hearthstone? Well the Mage of cause. This allows him to learn how burn works both in making the opponent lose life but also monsters, which a dragowizard player must learn if they wish to win. This is the basics of it anyway. My next subject is to be using the paladin, further pushing both risk and conservative play through probably the most balanced class in the game. This is thanks to Paladin's minion rush strategy, as well as their one man stampede strategy and their healing abilities. All this combined should help improve her playstyle. My final subject I have given the Hunter to. This is because it both gives him a combo style deck fused with the more focus on weaker monsters doing amazing things. As he is a jacknife player, he needs to learn how combos and weak monsters work, as jacknife is an amazing combo cards, but at the cost of having a lower gauge count for spells and monsters, meaning he must learn to use these weaker cards to his advantage. Hunter is also not a button mashie deck as sometimes you want to save your best cards for that one sweet combo. He needs to learn this if he is going to be even close to beating me. As part of the hearthstone test, they must learn how to win in that game to continue, and this can be done through videos and teaching systems. This will allow them to learn how to well, learn for themselves. This is the end of the relaxing bit of the boot camp.



Step 3: Learning all the important Buddyfight cards. As a deck builder myself, I already know all the cards, however, these people do not. So the next step is to get them to learn as many of the important cards as possible and how they work. I will not show them every card, just the ones that appear in most decks. This is where they must work hard for themselves and learn to do homework properly, a skill needed for school children, wish I had this boot camp a few years ago.



Step 4: A pop quiz. I give them an actual test to see if they are actually learning anything. I know this sounds stupid for a card game but it will allow me to see if they are actually doing anything and if this experiment. This will contain questions referring to card abilities, scenarios and common game strategy such as card advantage.


Step 5: Test battle 1: Million Rapier deck. Basically I test their new found knowledge by having each of my subjects battle me with me using my Million Rapier deck I'm currently building, which will most likely not be complete by this time, but they are having trouble beating that so this is still a legitimate test.


Step 6: Deck Building: This is where I get them to build a deck list by themselves after giving them a few tips and tricks. Il give them each a different world that is not their man world. This is a true test of their knowledge and their deck lists will be judged out of 10 by me very strictly.


Step 7: Weakness improvement sessions. This is where I go over each of their weaknesses and teach them how to cover them. This doubles as a sideboard session.


Step 8: Final Test: Battle me and my complete Danger World Deck: This is where they must battle me in a best out of 5 match. This deck they have yet to beat consistently, so if they can win this t will prove they have learned something from this.


Final Step: I give them each a deck list built around their newly learned play styles and be fully designed with both their budget and the highest strength in mind.


So that's what I'm doing. Here is the report for the first day.
Not much, I have told them of their play styles and got the in the mood required. I have given them the first mission, the hearthstone mission, but they are having issues setting up the program. One has succeeded and I have given them orders that they must work everything themselves. My next report will hopefully be a bit more lively.


So that's it. Keep an eye on the blog to see how well this experiment works out. any suggestions will be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment